Saturday, February 24, 2018

Books I Wouldn't Recommend


In the past few months since I’ve started this blog I haven’t given a single book a score below 3/5. I’ve just been lucky I suppose to have read some pretty decent books of late. However, lest you think I will recommend every book I read, there are, in fact, some books that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone. I know there are people out there who wouldn’t agree with me. That’s fine. They can keep reading those books, but I won’t. Here are a few books that I did not enjoy for one reason or another:

I, Coriander

I think the thing I liked most about this book was the cover. It's pretty intriguing in and of itself, but the book itself was a bit "meh." I read it a few years ago when I decided I really needed to go through my bookshelf and read the books that had been sitting there forever but I had never actually read them. I honestly can't remember a ton of details about this book except for mostly the fact that after I read it, it went straight into my Goodwill pile.

It has some fantastical elements to it, and as I recall, it just kind of settled into the realm of weird for me. Clearly it wasn't a favorite, and it's not one I have any interest in trying to read again. 

A Great and Terrible Beauty

I know someone will disagree with me on this one. I'm pretty sure it was pretty popular and even landed on the New York Times Bestselling list. I didn't even finish it. I almost finished it, but then it too just got too weird, but a different sort of weird than I, Coriander. This was like dark magic kind of weird, like "let's strip off all our clothes and run through the woods and kill something" weird. I think I'm remembering that correctly. If you're okay with some darkish magic stuffs, then go ahead and read it. People liked it for some reason. It just wasn't my cup of tea. And this was just the first book in a series,  so who knows what other crazy magically shenanigans filled the other books in the series.  

Blood and Chocolate

This is a book about werewolves before Jacob Black made werewolves popular. However, there are
no vampires in this story. This is another book on the ALA frequently challenged list, but I don't recall there being any big questionable content. What I remember is that I thought the story itself was lame. It's one of those forbidden relationship type stories. Werewolf girl likes normal human boy and the werewolf community frowns on that sort of thing. You get the idea. I don't want to spoil too much in case you do decide to read it for yourself, but it didn't seem believable to me, I mean besides the obvious fact that there aren't werewolves going to high school, falling in love with the normal kids. The ending was totally unexpected and in a way was a "Oh, how sweet" moment, I also didn't necessarily care for it mostly because of who the scene was with. Anyway, if you like teenage werewolf romance, you may enjoy it. There was also a movie made of it which has a completely different ending. Not the best movie ever, but again, if werewolf romance is your thing, you may find it enjoyable.

Life of Pi

Okay, there are some good things about this book. The ending leaves you wondering what was real and what wasn't real. And you know, being stuck in a small boat with a tiger has some interesting moments. Mostly the thing I didn't like it was a portion close to the end of the book that dealt with a carnivorous island that was just weird. I guess the moral of this post is if a book gets too weird on me it ends up on the don't recommend list. I never saw the movie adaptation of this book. Maybe I would enjoy that better. So I suppose there were some interesting things about this book, but not enough to make me want to keep it. I believe it was another one that ended up in the Goodwill pile.

There are other books that I could list, such as books that I only finished reading because they were required for college courses, but this is a good list for now.

Do you agree with my picks? Or are you offended because I chose a book that you actually enjoy? What are books that you wouldn't recommend to other people?

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey would fight you on that last one. It's her favorite book of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of her as I wrote that bit because I know she likes that one. Just don't tell her I put it on this list :P

      Delete