Friday, August 24, 2018

The Next Book

Guess what, guys! I picked another book to read! Huzzah!

Logically, you'd think I would pick the next book in the Anne of Green Gables series, but that's not what I did. Also, many thanks for the suggestions you gave me! If nothing else, I learned that I definitely need to give Brandon Sanderson a try at some point because his books have now been recommended to me by numerous people.

Don't be offended when I tell you that I didn't pick any of your suggestions, and it's not because I didn't think they were good ones. In fact, the ones I hadn't already read are now on my to-read list on Goodreads so I won't forget. However, fate brought me and this book together. I can't fight against fate!

Here's what happened.

The other day I was tidying up my office. Organization isn't always my best skill in some regards. In some aspects of my life, I want things organized in a specific way, and I want it to stay that way. Everything else has a tendency to spread wildly across the floor and stay that way for some time. Well, I knew something had to be done because, ironically, I actually hate it when a space gets THAT cluttered. And I knew that it was probably driving my husband nuts even though he never said anything. He's much more organized with his space than I am.

As I was cleaning and rearranging a bookshelf, I found myself holding a book that has been in my possession since 2004, and yet I've never read it! I'm sure I have plenty of books in a similar situation on my shelves, but what surprises me about this book is that I was so into The Lord of the Rings at the time. (I still think it's amazing, by the way.)

The book is There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale by none other than Sean Astin who plays Samwise Gamgee. I love behind the scenes stuff whether it be for movies, plays, Disneyland rides, etc. (I seriously have a couple of books devoted to the making of the Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion rides). I really enjoy seeing how things were accomplished and hearing first hand accounts of the experience. The last book I read that fits into this genre is As You Wish by Cary Elwes all about the making of The Princess Bride. I thoroughly enjoyed that one, so if you're a Princess Bride fan, you should definitely pick it up.

With my interest piqued, and suddenly finding myself 75 pages in, it was the clear choice for my next book. It's only been over a decade since the last movie/this book came out. Better late than never!


No comments:

Post a Comment