Friday, July 27, 2018

Second Chances

Some of you may have noticed that yesterday I shared a post someone had written about how they felt that the books they'd read and hated actually had a huge impact on them as a reader. This is the sort of person that can't stop reading a book even if they find it lacking.

I'm not that sort of person...usually.

There are multiple books that I describe thus, "Oh, yeah! I started that book once! Never did finish it..." That's not the majority of the books I pick up, but it happens. There are various reasons why that scenario takes place, not just because it was less than enjoyable, but that's the aspect we're going to focus on. In most cases when I'm not thrilled with a booked if I don't stop reading it it's because a) it's for a class assignment or b) a friend suggested it or let me borrow it and I don't have the heart to tell them I don't quite love it as much as they do.

But here's the thing--sometimes books need second chances. I'm not saying ALL books need second chances. Your reading instincts will let you know when you really should maybe look elsewhere for your reading fulfillment instead of retrying that one book you tried to read that one time. Our tastes change over time. Also, there are some books that we might not have been ready for the first time we were introduced to them.

There are two books in particular of which I feel very differently about now than I did when I first read them (in a good way, not a "how did I ever enjoy this" way). I'm pretty sure I've even mentioned them before in previous posts. They are The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I often say they are two of my favorite books, but it wasn't always that way.

In both cases I had to read the books for school. I was in middle school when I first read them, and I thought they were awful! And it wasn't even the older style of language or writing that bothered me. There were certain aspects of the story or the storytelling itself that drove me nuts. The major complaints I remember having were Tolkien's multiple allusions to things that would happen in the future and Darcy's uncanny, yet convenient, way of showing up ALL THE TIME! The funny thing is that those things don't bug me at all now. In fact, I actually love that particular detail of The Hobbit. 

Another funny thing about this scenario is that the whole reason I gave them a second chance was because they were once again assigned to me as school assignments. And on the second reading, I loved them! (Actually, it took me a third reading of The Hobbit to realize how much I loved it. Apparently I had multiple Tolkien fans for teachers.)

The point is this:

Maybe you gave up on a certain book too soon.

Maybe you weren't in the right place to enjoy a potential favorite book.

Or maybe you'll still hate it no matter how many times you read it...

So, have any of you had similar experiences? Are there books you'd like to give a second chance? Or are you like Mr. Darcy in that "[your] good opinion once lost is lost forever?"

No comments:

Post a Comment