Thursday, May 24, 2018

Crenshaw


Title: Crenshaw
Rating: 5/5
Author: Katherine Applegate
Pages: 245
Genre: Children’s

Synopsis:

Jackson is all about the facts. There’s always a logical explanation for everything. He’s been told that he has an old soul, whatever that means, but of one thing he is absolutely sure—he’s much too old to have an imaginary friend.

Crenshaw is a cat, a rather large one at that, who loves doing cartwheels and handstands and taking bubble baths. He’s also Jackson’s imaginary friend. But why would an imaginary friend that has been gone for years suddenly show up now? Jackson doesn’t have time for that, especially not when his family has fallen on hard times and they might have to live in their minivan…again.

My Reaction:

You may remember that the last book I read by Katherine Applegate was The One and Only Ivan, a brilliant book that should be on your list of books to read before you die if it isn’t already. This book is another winner! If I absolutely had to choose a favorite between the two, I’d probably go with Ivan, but this was a sweet story that gave a little perspective of both the parent and the child in a situation where money is tight and homelessness is a very real possibility. I don’t think I’ve read another book quite like this one.

I enjoyed Crenshaw himself. I wish I would have come up with such a cool imaginary friend at some point in my life. Besides his coolness factor, the real thing that makes Crenshaw resonate with readers is that he represents that need for a friend and he fulfills that in a wise and unique way, being that he’s a cat and all. I was particularly touched by the idea that Crenshaw’s purpose was to fill that friend role as long as he was needed. Like Mary Poppins or Nanny McPhee, he would stay until his work was done. And then, he would be available should a need arise again. It causes me to reflect on the people in my life who have been a strength to me when I’ve needed it. Some are still there. Some are not just because we tend to lose connections as life goes on, but they are no less meaningful to me. Crenshaw may be imaginary, but he represents the very real advice, love, and comfort I’ve received from various sources throughout my life. Not only that, but he teaches the importance of being honest with yourself. Even Jackson finds that some facts are very hard to face.

Reader’s Guidance:

Nothing as far as I’m concerned.

Similar Books:

If you like this, I reckon anything by Kate DiCamillo will suit your fancy.

Next Book:

 I have a confession to make. First of all, I studied English in college (That's not the confession. I'm leading up to it.) As such an educated person, you would think that there would be some books I must have read. I must know and love all the classics, right? (FYI, I don't think it's necessary to love all classics... I think some are lame. Shh, don't tell anyone.) While I've had a fair dosing of the classics and other books that frequent the lists of must read books, some of them I've somehow managed to not read even after all this time. Heck, there are some books that pretty much every person in my generation had to read in elementary school but I didn't. What's up with that? (Here's looking at you Hatchet and/or Brian's Winter which I still have never read.) 

So here's the confession: I haven't read a single book by one of the Bronte sisters. 

For awhile now I've thought that was a crime and I need to fix that. I mean, I've actually been to their home, walked on the moors, maybe wandered through a graveyard, and yet, I haven't read a single word they wrote. It's time I change that.

Next up is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I was told that this was the one I absolutely had to read, so it seems like a good place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment