Monday, January 29, 2018

The Book Villain I Most Love to Hate

You know what? Not being able to speak fully for nearly two weeks is lame, and while my inability to speak did not leave me incapable of reading/writing a blog post, I certainly let it get in the way. I was far too busy wallowing, downing cold remedies, and having days after days of Psych marathons.

But hey! I did do some productive things with my time in the last couple of days. Just today I made a bowl of chocolate pudding that I plan on gobbling up this evening. That is a sign of a day's success if I ever saw one!

So I'm sitting here, thinking over book related topics, and one idea that's rolling around in my mind are fictional characters you love to hate. My first thought wasn't a character from a book but rather a character from Doctor Who (Does anyone else hate Madam Me as much as I do? And why do I feel so passionately about it? Hmm...). She just, ugh, bugs me. That's all I'm going to say.

The first book character that came to mind comes from our beloved Harry Potter series. Any guesses? It's not Volde--or should I say--He-who-must-not-be-named. It's none other than Dolores Umbridge. I mean, seriously, I'm pretty sure she's actually more evil than all the other evil characters COMBINED! Maybe she's equal with Voldemort. I don't know. I dislike her more than Bellatrix! And that's saying something because Bellatrix made me cry! (*sob* Poor Sirius...) Even so, there's just something about how Rowling crafted Umbridge's character that just makes you want to hate her. There's the torture, the refusal to see reason, the fact that she denies Voldemort's existence and then totally does things that helps his cause, taking over Hogwarts, or maybe the fact that she has no problems using a dead guy's eye to spy out of her office... She's just evil. Kudos to J.K. She can make one nasty villain. More than one actually.

I feel like I can conclude with that. There's no character I love to hate more than her! Sure, there's other great villains, but none that make me sit here thinking they can be pushed into the realm of hatred.

Help me out guys. Which characters do you love to hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment