Friday, September 1, 2017

E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core

Sequel to: Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King
Rating: 3.5/5
Author: William Joyce
Pages: 251
Genre: Children’s Fiction/Fantasy

Synopsis:

The last time we saw our heroes (or should I say guardians?), Pitch and his monstrous band of fearlings were successfully defeated and everything seemed on the mend. But the guardians’ success was only temporary. Pitch won’t be defeated so easily. Now he’s back with an even more dastardly plan, he’s stronger than ever!

With a seemingly unbeatable foe, the guardians have no other option than to seek help from E. Aster Bunnymund, the last of an ancient race of large rabbits who also happens to be a master in martial arts and chocolate making. With their combined efforts be enough to defeat Pitch once again? Or is it possible that they have met their match?

My Reaction:

This book is very much like the previous book in style and theme. So if you enjoyed the first book, you’ll definitely enjoy the sequel. Again, we have a story packed full of adventure and fantasy. The fight against Pitch becomes more complicated as he throws new threats into the mix.

Our main characters of the book are still very much Ombric, Katherine, and North with Bunnymund taking a larger role about halfway through the book. Bunnymund fits well into the mixture of already established characters. Perhaps what I liked about him most is that I heard Hugh Jackman’s voice in my head every time I read his dialogue. Ha!

This story is still heavy on the friendship theme and actually emphasizes it more so as we are presented with the idea that friendship grants its own sort of power—it connects and strengthens us.

It’s still not really anything like the movie, which is fine by me. It’s really a completely different story and world.

I feel like I could say pretty much the same things about this book that I said about the first one. I enjoy the adventure, and I liked that there was even more of a sense of danger—more complex problems to solve because there are more elements to the danger. I also really enjoyed that we get a little bit more background information about Pitch and why he became what he became. It almost makes him more understandable and in this case it almost makes you a little more sympathetic towards him, which you may think is a bad thing, considering he’s the bad guy. You’ll just have to read it to understand what I mean.

Overall, I gave it the same score as the first, and I’m ready to head onto book three! I’m looking forward to see how Bunnymund continues to add to our group of heroes!

Reader Guidance:

There is one moment during a confrontation that a character is stabbed clean through with a sword. It’s basically described as the character feeling pain, looking down and seeing the handle of the sword, and then realizing the rest of the blade went all the way through his back.

Similar Books:

Here are some other fantastical adventure series you may enjoy!

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Orbert Skye
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Next Book:


Join me in reading the next and third book of the series: Toothiana Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies!




No comments:

Post a Comment