Friday, August 11, 2017

Enna Burning


 Image result for enna burning
          
Rating: 3.5/5
Author: Shannon Hale
Pages: 317
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

Synopsis:

Enna Burning is the sequel to The Goose Girl. In this story, Enna is the main character whereas Ani/Isi has a supporting role.

A few years have passed since Isi married Geric, and Enna finds herself back at home in the forest and no longer working in the city. When her brother, Leifer, starts behaving strangely and suddenly demonstrates the ability to wield fire, Enna returns to the city to talk to the only person who would understand—Isi who not only has the power to speak with birds but to speak with the wind. Upon her return, Enna discovers that there is more to worry about than this sudden appearance of fire. War is upon them from the land of Tira in the south. Determined to stay by her friend’s side, Enna joins the war effort as Isi’s maiden. But when Leifer gives his life using the power of fire in a major battle, Enna can’t fight the need to do more and to understand her brother’s sacrifice.

Before she realizes what she’s gotten herself into, Enna herself has learned the gift of fire, but this is a gift that needs to be controlled. If she masters the skill, she can aid in the victory of Bayern. If she can’t, she could find herself consumed by the flames.

My Reaction:

Enna Burning is a well crafted story, much like The Goose Girl. It is somewhat darker than its predecessor in that much of the story deals with this inner struggle to control the fire within her. Fire has a need to consume and burn, so it encourages her to burn, even to burn other people especially since she’s in the middle of a war.

One of the things I liked best about this story is how it all wrapped up in the end. The last few chapters were honestly my favorite (and no, it wasn’t just because it was all over!). I think for me it was in those last few scenes where I personally connected most with the characters. Speaking of which, there are a few other characters from The Goose Girl that make reappearances as well, most notably Finn and Razo.

In the end, I gave this book a little bit of a lower score than The Goose Girl. It was a good read with some good conflict and resolution, but it just didn’t quite pull me in to the same level that The Goose Girl did. I’d still say it’s worth a read if you enjoyed the first book.

Reader Guidance:

It shouldn’t surprise you that a book dealing with war is going to have some violence to it. For the most part, I felt the violence was dealt with appropriately and wasn’t overly graphic. The thing that would probably be most concerning to me was when she burns people or fights the urge to burn people. When I was reading this book, a 9 year old girl asked me to read out loud to her, and because it was a little darker and dealt with this people burning aspect (and because I didn’t know the sorts of things her parents might approve of) I didn’t really feel comfortable reading it to her. I’d say it’s more for a mid-teen audience.

Here are some of the things to consider for this book:

  •       The book opens with a woman burning to death
  •         Battle descriptions—arrows biting soft flesh, metal tearing their middles, delivering death blows, etc.
  •         The dead from battle are stacked in a heap and burned
  •         There’s a fight to the death
  •         It causes Enna physical pain to use the fire—describes the pain and her screaming
  •         Enna burns a man to free herself
  •         There’s a story mentioned of a mother who bathed her child in blood to make him an invincible warrior
  •         Mention of soiling oneself
  •         A man comes to taunt Enna and possibly take advantage of her, but another soldier shows up just in time and beats up the first guy.
  •         There are two instances of language, both times using the ba— word
  •         There are a few instances of people being stabbed or shot in the back or people punching other people
  •         There are some more instances of people being burned alive


As I mentioned above, I didn’t feel like these were overly graphic.

Similar Books:

There are currently four books total in the stories of Bayern:

The Goose Girl
Enna Burning
River Secrets
Forest Born

Next Book:


I was ready for a break from the world of Bayern, but I wasn’t quite sure where to go next. I ended up doing exactly what I told my husband I would do: I went to the library, stepped into a random aisle, and checked out the first book I randomly set my hand on. As it happens, I recognized the cover as being a book I’d noticed before while perusing books, and it was one I was interested in reading. Clearly fate has brought us together! So next up is The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.


                                                    Image result for the one and only ivan


I must say, yesterday I started reading the first little bit of this book (I even read it out loud to that same nine year old mentioned above), and I'm already enjoying it (as was the nine year old). I'm excited to see how this one progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment